George E. McCarthy Bio
McCarthy, George E. (ca.
1946-), Professor of Sociology at Kenyon College in Gambier, Ohio since
- B.A. summa cum laude, Manhattan College, 1968
M.A. and Ph.D. in philosophy, Boston College, 1972
M.A. and Ph.D. in sociology, the New School for Social Research, 1979
- Kenyon sociology faculty web page,
- Soc 474 course "Western Marxism: The Frankfurt School from Horkheimer to Habermas" reads One Dimensional Man, and Counterrevolution and Revolt.
- selected publications
- 1987 review
of Peter Lind's 1985 book Marcuse and Freedom
- Marx' critique of science and positivism : the methodological
foundations of political economy (Boston: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1988)
- Dialectics and decadence: echoes of antiquity in
Marx and Nietzsche (Lanham, Md: Rowman & Littlefield, 1994).
- Romancing Antiquity: German critique of the Enlightenment
from Weber to Habermas (Lanham, Md: Rowman & Littlefield, 1997)
- Objectivity and the silence of reason: Weber, Habermas,
and the methodological disputes in German sociology (New Brunswick: Transaction,