Russell Jacoby Bio
Jacoby, Russell (b. 1949), professor of history and education at UCLA (UCLA
- On Oct. 29, 2004, Jacoby wrote the following in an e-mail to Harold
"I just stumbled
upon your HM site. Wow. Very impressive. You know for what it is worth,
I consider myself a student of HM (although I did not study with him.)
He wrote a blurb to my first book ("Social Amnesia"), etc., etc."
- "Marcuse and the New Academics: A Note on Style," Telos
no. 8 (Summer 1971)
- Social Amnesia: A Critique of Contemporary Psychology
(Beacon Press, 1975; Transaction, 1997)($25
- The Last Intellectuals: American Culture in the
Age of Academe (1987, 2000)($14
- Picture Imperfect: Utopian Thought for an Anti-Utopian
Age (Columbia University Press, 2005). ($25
- several other works listed on his UCLA page.
- January 2005
review of Herbert's Collected Papers, vol. 3, published in The
listing of articles Jacoby has written for The Nation
- In January 2013 Kurt Jacobsen of Cold Chicago Productions completed a 55 minute documentary about Russell Jacoby (see ScholarActivists entry), which is available on the "Humanity Explored" online film festival website. It is viewable at: www.cultureunplugged.com/documentary/.../Velvet-Prisons--Russell-Jacoby-on-American-Academia.