Employment & Public Offices (back to top)
- Attorney with Margaret C. Driscoll, General Counsel, Connecticut State CIO Council, January 1953‑November 1956.
- Director of Research, Connecticut State Commission on Housing, 1957‑58; author of its "Report to the Governor and Legislature of the State of Connecticut."
- Private practice of law, Waterbury, Connecticut, November 1956‑January 1962.
- Attorney and partner (managing partner, 1966‑72), law firm of Weisman & Weisman, Waterbury, Connecticut, specializing in corporate, tax, labor and real estate law; 1962‑72 (on leave, 1968‑69).
- Attorney, National Housing Law Project, School of Law, University of California, Berkeley, 1968‑69.
- Professor of Urban Planning, University of California, Los Angeles, 1972‑75.
- Professor of Urban Planning Division of Urban Planning (Chairman, 1975‑79), Columbia University New York, 1975‑2012
- Visiting Professor, J. W. Goethe University, Frankfurt/Main, West Germany, 1981‑2
- Visiting Lecturer, College of Architecture and Building, Weimar, East Germany, Fall, 1989
- Visiting Lecturer, Humboldt University, Berlin (East), spring, 1990
- Harvey Perloff Professor of Planning, University of California at Los Angeles, Spring,1992
- Research Fellow, Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute, Melbourne, Australia, Fall, 1994
- Visiting Professor of Urban Sociology, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa, Spring 1995
- Visiting Professor, Central European University, Budapest, Hungary, July, 1999
- Visiting Professor, Technical University of Vienna, March, 2002
- Majority Leader, Board of Alderman, City of Waterbury, 1959‑1963.
- Member, City Plan Commission, Waterbury, 1964‑68.
- Member, City Planning Commission, City of Los Angeles, 1973‑1975; President, 1974‑75.
- Member, Community Board #9, New York City, and its Housing Committee, 1979‑81; 1983‑1998 (Chair, 1983‑9, 1993‑).